News + Information
- The Laschet Disaster: The Slow-Motion Collapse of Merkel's CDUam 15. September 2021 um 16:22
Angela Merkel's conservatives could be facing an historical debacle at the polls in this year's election. Their candidate, Armin Laschet, has been anything but inspiring, and his stumbles could have deep consequences for the stability of German politics.
- A First Look at Angela Merkel's Legacy: The Era of Missed Opportunitiesam 6. September 2021 um 14:33
Angela Merkel's 16 years as German chancellor have been characterized by crisis after crisis, most of them global in nature. Her intellect has been a critical tool in addressing those challenges, but her follow through left a lot to be desired.
- Germany's SPD on the Rise: Olaf Scholz Aims to Succeed Merkel By Emulating Heram 3. September 2021 um 9:17
Germany's Social Democrats appear to be rising from the dead as the general election approaches. In Olaf Scholz, the party has found a candidate whose leadership style could be a lot like Angela Merkel's.
- The End of the German Airlift: What Will Become of the Afghans Left Behind?am 27. August 2021 um 15:49
On Thursday, the German military suspended flights from Kabul. Thousands of people who worked for the Germans have been left behind. Berlin is hoping negotiations with the Taliban will give them a way out.
- German Foreign Minister on the Afghanistan Debacle: "I Don't Know If It's Possible to Completely Make Up for Everything"am 24. August 2021 um 6:28
German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas has been under fire since the fall of Kabul. In a DER SPIEGEL interview, he speaks about the mistakes that have been made and the dangers of the rescue operation currently under way in Afghanistan.
- A Chronicle of German Failures in Afghanistan: "Takeover of Kabul Unlikely Before 9/11"am 20. August 2021 um 15:56
German diplomats only found out by chance that their American counterparts were evacuating from Kabul and they were blindsided by the Taliban's rapid advance in the capital. But internal documents show that Berlin ignored urgent warnings.
- AstraZeneca and Pfizer/BioNTech: Germany Faces Dilemma of What to do with Excess Vaccineam 30. Juli 2021 um 17:21
More and more vaccination centers and doctors offices are struggling to use their vaccine supplies before they expire. Now, federal authorities in Germany are desperately looking for storage options and exploring ways to donate doses abroad.
- Delta and Other Baggage: New COVID-19 Rules for Travelers in Germany Arrive Late and Fall Shortam 30. Juli 2021 um 17:08
The aggressive Delta variant of the coronavirus is driving up infections in Germany, with vaccinated people also at risk of being infected. Stricter rules are now being put in place for people returning from travel abroad, but they will be difficult to enforce. Is this the start of the fourth wave?
- Germany’s New Climate Reality: A Country Races to Prepare for the Unavoidableam 29. Juli 2021 um 6:38
Floods, storms, forest fires – events that used to be extreme have become the new normal. Now German officials are building dikes, underground storage tanks and green roofs to avert disaster. Will it be enough?
- Catastrophic Flooding Spotlights Germany’s Poor Disaster Preparednessam 23. Juli 2021 um 15:15
The recent floods in western Germany show how poorly prepared the federal and state governments are for major natural events. The country’s efforts at disaster management have been highly convoluted, but pressure is growing following last week’s flooding catastrophe.
- Germany: Herd Immunity is Impossible. Now What?am 21. Juli 2021 um 9:29
Faced with declining vaccination rates and persistent skepticism, Germany is now preparing for another autumn of living with COVID-19. Politicians are looking at several measures, including air purifiers for schools, compulsory testing for travelers and a pro-vaccine ad blitz.
- Germany: Flood Disaster Could Become a Major Issue in Electionam 16. Juli 2021 um 16:54
This week's devastating floods in western Germany could very well bring climate change to the forefront of the country's national election. A similar weather disaster in 2002 tipped the ballots.
- The High Political Costs of Russia's New Pipeline to Germanyam 14. Juli 2021 um 8:48
Chancellor Angela Merkel is set to meet the new U.S. president on Thursday, and one issue in particular is weighing on the visit: a new gas pipeline under the Baltic Sea that will deliver Russian gas to Germany. Berlin is seeking to make concessions in Washington to relieve tensions over the […]
- Germany Shifts Focus of Vaccine Drive to the Undecided and Skepticsam 9. Juli 2021 um 16:33
As the availability of vaccines against COVID-19 increases, authorities in Germany are facing a new obstacle: hesitancy among the population. Now leaders are betting on everything from mobile vaccine buses to concert vouchers and a bicycle lottery to convince people to get their jabs.
- The Delta Dilemma: Coronavirus Variant Has Some Worried about a New Autumn Waveam 2. Juli 2021 um 16:21
Germany’s political leaders want to avoid further lockdowns and school closures this fall. But they are also warning that there may be fresh outbreaks with the spread of the delta variant. It seems almost inevitable that some measures will need to be taken.
- Germany's Vaccination Campaign: The Race for Herd Immunityam 2. Juli 2021 um 15:45
Early this year, Germans were frustrated and angry at the slow pace of vaccination in the country. Now? The rate has vastly sped up and the country is awash in vaccine. The problem has now become finding enough people willing to get their jab.
- Merkel Adviser on the Future Course of the Pandemic: “I Am Especially Worried About the Unvaccinated Children at School”am 18. Juni 2021 um 15:36
In an interview with DER SPIEGEL, physicist Michael Meyer-Hermann discusses the successes and mistakes made by scientists during the coronavirus pandemic. He also warns of a new wave of infections as the Delta variant reaches Germany.
- A Boost for the CDU: German Conservatives Back on Track as General Election Approachesam 7. Juni 2021 um 11:13
With just a few months to go before the German general election, the conservatives took a big step in the right direction by winning the state vote in Saxony-Anhalt on Sunday. The right-wing populist AfD failed to live up to expectations.
- Attention Deficit Disorders: Lessons from the Pandemic on ADHDam 4. Juni 2021 um 15:40
Cases of attention deficit disorder ADHD have increased during the pandemic. Doctors say the closure of daycare centers and schools is part of the problem. And they have some solutions that go beyond just popping pills.
- COVID-19: How Much Sense Does It Make to Vaccinate Children and Adolescents?am 1. Juni 2021 um 14:08
German federal and state governments want to vaccinate children and adolescents against COVID-19 as quickly as possible. But does that make sense from a medical perspective? Experience in Israel has shown that infection numbers, even with the B.1.1.7 mutant circulating, can be lowered without […]
- Feed has no items.