News + Information
- The Scapegoat: Science and Politics Collide in the Battle against COVID-19am 2. Juni 2020 um 11:45
The coronavirus is linking two worlds that often have little to do with each other: politics and science. This is creating a difficult test for scientists in Germany like virologist Christian Drosten, whose research and expertise influence government policies and have placed him in the limelight.
- Virologist Christian Drosten: "We Managed to Stop a Pandemic Wave with Relatively Mild Measures"am 29. Mai 2020 um 16:02
Germany's most famous virologist Christian Drosten has been the target of hatred and adoration. In an interview, he tells DER SPIEGEL how he is dealing with his newfound fame and what comes next in the fight against COVID-19.
- Germany: The Bunker that Became a Hub of International Crimeam 22. Mai 2020 um 16:06
A former military facility in Germany’s Mosel region served as a hub for organized crime on the internet until 650 police shut it down in a raid. The bizarre story behind the bunker that is likely to produce countless criminal cases. By DER SPIEGEL Staff
- Corona in Germany: The Towns on the Front Lines of COVID-19am 20. Mai 2020 um 18:12
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and the country's state governors have decided that if a municipality becomes a coronavirus hotspot, authorities there must intervene. But local leaders have other plans.
- Germany's Corona Divide: Berlin Fears Populists Will Exploit Protest Movementam 15. Mai 2020 um 16:52
A vocal minority in Germany opposes the restrictions put in place to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, including right-wing radicals, but also people at the center of society. How can the government best address the protest movement?
- The Corona Conspiracy Theorists: Protests in Germany See Fringe Mix with the Mainstreamam 14. Mai 2020 um 15:50
At demonstrations and on the internet, both the far-left and the far-right have converged in their agitation against measures taken to limit the spread of the coronavirus. In a disturbing development, their conspiracy theories are also reaching the mainstream.
- The Coronavirus Could Cripple Public Financesam 14. Mai 2020 um 14:36
The coronavirus has plunged the global economy into a new phase of uncertainty. Governments and central banks are once again trying to shield companies and banks from collapse with massive bailouts. But there is danger in stimulating the economy on credit: It could spark a post-crisis crisis.
- The Summer of Liberation: Germans Reflect on the Allies’ Arrival in Europe in 1945am 6. Mai 2020 um 13:44
After the Allies defeated Germany and ended World War II in Europe in summer 1945, peace finally prevailed on the Continent. The Germans were beaten, desperate and ashamed, but also ready to get back to normal life following the trauma. By DER SPIEGEL Staff
- Germans Split Over Lifting of Lockdownam 1. Mai 2020 um 16:50
A growing number of people in Germany are resisting lockdown measures imposed to contain the coronavirus. The rift between those who support the measures and those who are critical of them is growing.
- Corona: Why Researchers Fear a Second Waveam 27. April 2020 um 9:58
Germany’s strict limitations on contact between people haven't conquered the virus - they have merely bought the country more time. Epidemiologists believe a second wave will come.
- Corona Crisis: We Should Be Adopting Stricter Measures, Not Loosening the Lockdownam 20. April 2020 um 15:28
People are growing increasingly impatient over the coronavirus lockdown, and politicians are now debating whether to loosen measures. From a scientific point of view this is a disaster. Measures should actually be tightened until we know more about the virus.
- Scientific Experts Release Proposals for Loosening the Lockdownam 14. April 2020 um 12:08
The Leopoldina National Academy, Germany’s academy of sciences, recommends that schools be reopened soon. Businesses and public authorities are also expected to be reopened gradually. Travel should also be permitted under certain conditions, according to the report, which DER SPIEGEL obtained […]
- When Will Germany Begin Loosening Coronavirus Restrictions?am 10. April 2020 um 17:34
All of Germany is looking forward to Easter this year, with hopes that the government will soon be able to loosen coronavirus restrictions. But will it? And if so, which ones? By DER SPIEGEL Staff
- Politicians Call for Fewer Climate Protections During Coronavirus Crisisam 8. April 2020 um 16:48
German politicians have begun calling for industry to be shielded from too much environmental protection during the coronavirus crisis. But corporations aren't joining the appeal. They managed to turn CO2 reduction into a competitive advantage long ago.
- Germany Is Failing in its Efforts To Obtain Protective Gearam 6. April 2020 um 11:48
The German government failed to obtain enough protective masks for the country. That's one of the reasons Germany has so far refused to require its citizen's to wear them in public. But those facial coverings could be critical in lifting restrictions on public life.
- Corona Challenge: Germany Reaching the Upper Limit of Testing Capacityam 1. April 2020 um 10:19
Every day, tens of thousands people in Germany seek to get tested for the novel coronavirus. Often, though, they run up against a lack of testing capacity. And it is likely to only get worse. By DER SPIEGEL Staff
- The Price of Life: Novel Coronavirus Is Forcing a Taboo Debateam 31. März 2020 um 17:50
Some in Germany have the impression that the country can survive a long-term lockdown without suffering any grave consequences. That thinking is dangerous.
- What Next?: Attention Slowly Turns to the Mother of All Coronavirus Questionsam 27. März 2020 um 19:13
The fight against the coronavirus has paralyzed society and the economy. Lockdown measures are fine for the short term, but they threaten to rapidly destroy the economy and erode our existing social order. What should the next steps be?
- German Ventilator Manufacturer: "Absolutely Mission Impossible"am 27. März 2020 um 17:30
Drägerwerk is a world leader in the production of ventilators. In an interview, company head Stefan Dräger, 57, discusses the challenges of keeping up with current demand as the corona crisis accelerates.
- The Corona Crisis In Retirement Homes: A Threat for Seniors and Caregivers Alikeam 26. März 2020 um 9:33
The gravest threat posed by the coronavirus is that high-risk groups like the elderly and other high-risk groups will get infected by it. The pressure on staffs at nursing homes is growing. Some patient advocates are calling for emergency contingency plans. Are the facilities safe enough for the […]
- Feed has no items.